The famous Greek Philosopher Aristotle wrote more than 2000 years ago, “Man Is By Nature A Social Animal,”. Communication is the medium of social relationships.
From the time a baby is born in this world, you try to communicate by first attempting to cry at verbal communication. As you start growing, you find different new ways to communicate with everything. We start to learn words and sentences to communicate. It is the beginning of verbal communication.
What Is Verbal Communication?
In simple words, Verbal communication is the process when someone communicates with others through verbal language. However, this process can’t ignore non-oral communication– body language, the sound of tone, and facial expression.
We all know the world famous sentence, “the first impression is the last impression”— so, if you are going to meet someone for a professional or personal purpose or maybe you present the presentation to clients, the starting time of conversation is very important-
- being silent and focus what the opposite person is speaking,
- choosing good words,
- speak with clarity, well behaved,
- and follow some general rules of body language.
All these things are included in verbal communication.
Characteristic Of Verbal Communication
Define verbal communication, you should know the characteristics of oral communication. Take a look at the below:
- The verbal message being communicated is directly or indirectly or directly related to an object.
- Concepts to communicate messages.
- Both the sender and receiver should understand the concept.
- Cultural factors can influence the content of messages.
- A sender’s state of mind, emotion and feeling can influence the content of messages.
4 Types Of Verbal Communication
When you use different ways to express your thoughts and ideas, you can communicate more effectively. Here are the four types of verbal communication.
Interpersonal refers to one-to-one communication. Here two or more people can share their ideas, information, and thoughts via online platforms or phone or face-to-face meetings. When you use interpersonal verbal communication, be mindful of choosing words, tone, and body language.
Intrapersonal happened internally. This type of verbal communication is very interesting because it includes recall, self-talk, visualization, and cats of imagination.
This verbal communication plays a significant role in personnel function and social function. Intrapersonal communication can lead you to communicate verbally.
3. Small Group Communication
Small group communication occurs with more than two people present at a time. Here the number of participants is small but they focus on each person to converse with others. Small groups are usually concerned with specific matters or certain goals.
For example, press conferences, office board meetings, or weekly team meetings. Small group communication can help individuals perform, collaborate, and individual development.
4. Public Communication
This communication happens when one person talks with a number of people. For example, when a singer or anchor talks with a crowd. During election campaigns, public communication is the best example.
It refers to when a single man or woman conveys information to many recipients. Here, speaking with clarity and clear thought plays a significant role in communicating with the crowd.
Importance Of Verbal Communication
It has a crucial role in the workplace. Without verbal communication, you can’t conduct a meeting or personal conversation. Here we mentioned the significance of verbal communication. So, let’s take a look.
1. You Can Express Yourself
No need to explain that verbal communication helps us to express our thoughts, and ideas to others. It reflects what you think and your way of thinking process. It is important to speak out what you think and tell your decisions and determinations, especially if you work with them.
2. It Helps To Think
Language helps us to think. You can be deeply involved with specific matters and try to get the solution through verbal communication.
Use of verbal language you can recall your pasts and memory.
3. Oral Language Impact Your mood
Oral language impacts your mood. It is very natural because when we share our thoughts, feelings, and ideas through verbal communication, it has the ability to influence our mood.
4. It Provide Clarity
Clear tone, and proper words make the communication with clarity. It improves the connection and increases engagement. Clear conversion is very important to build a strong relationship with others.
5. Verbal Language Motivates You
Words have the ability to motivate someone. If you are in the verbal communication process, you will be motivated by voice tone, body language, and words.
Advantage Of Verbal Communication
Verbal communication is the medium of effective communication. Generally, it is two types– verbal and written. Let’s counter the advantage:
- Saves a lot of time.
- Get feedback quickly.
- Saves money too.
- Clarity of method.
- Most convenient method.
- Ease of preparation.
Disadvantage Of Verbal Communication
- The audience size is the barriers of verbal communication.
- Regional differences between the sender and receiver.
- Language differences and dialects for communication are also a reason.
- All people can’t listen to the same space.
Verbal Communication Skills
According to the experts of verbal communication, there are some skills that you need to follow:
- How well we choose words for effective speaking.
- Active listening involves how patiently we hear others.
- These factors affect the transmission of messages.
- Saves a lot of time and money.
- These skills bring a positive response.
How You Can Improve Verbal Communication
Verbal message or communication is superior for communication skills. If you are in the field of communication, then follow these tips for better work experience.
- Think before you speak.
- Focus on your voice and speech tone.
- Take a deep breath before starting your conversations.
- Give time to others and listen to their words carefully.
- Don’t ignore other points of view.
- Use a clear and strong voice when you speak in public.
- Before going to an interview, practice in front of a mirror or record your voice, and you will find out where you need to change. It can be that you need to be more confident or spell words clearly.
- Be mindful always. Your gestures, facial expressions, words, and body language match with your speech.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
So, what is verbal communication, its importance, and other aspects are covered in this article. At the end of this article, you must take a look at the following questions that people have asked frequently.
➥ You can find several verbal communication games in the Play Store. Those games are highly designed to solve English problems and other grammatical tricks.
➥ Verbal communication is one kind of communication process. There are many uses for oral communication. They are:
• Understanding massage is accurate.
• Helps in interviews.
• Saves time.
• Increases degree of formality.
• Feedback comes quickly.
• Oral communication: In the form of words, what we speak to others.
• Listening skills: How we listen to others.
• Written communication: In the form of words what we write.
• Non-verbal communication: Body language, voice tone, facial experience, confidence, etc.
• Mediated communication: The world wide web for searching data.
➥ There are many reasons that can disturb communication verbally. Here are some general barriers:
• Physical barriers.
• Language differences.
• Emotional barriers.
• Use of complicated words and technical terms.
• Differences in perception and viewpoint.
➥ For effective communication, everyone should be aware of the skills of verbal communication. Here are some components that can decorate the converse beautifully.
• Pitch of the voice.
• Speed of the voice.
So, these are all about verbal communication, and its types, characteristics, and more. We have coveted everything about verbal communication. So, it can be considered that you can improve your verbal communication by following the above tips.
Don’t forget to share any point that we have issued to mention here. Being mindful, confident, and being clear are the key parts of verbal communication.