Like with any strong economy, construction is an influential part of Singapore’s GDP.
Everywhere you look, there are commercial, residential, and industrial construction projects going on. Whether you’re in the construction industry or you want to start a project, you require heavy-duty tools and machinery.
Over the years, the use of technology has made construction projects safer and less labour intensive. Whatever construction project you plan, there’s a construction machine to get the job done efficiently.
The heavy equipment gets the job done faster and at a lower cost. Read on and discover the types of heavy equipment used for construction.
Every construction site requires extensive excavations during the preparation of the site. Whether you’re building a home, apartment block or road, you’ve to remove the top layer materials to get to firmer ground.
Excavators are the most popular heavy equipment in both large and small construction sites. The heavy vehicle moves the earth, removes trees, and any other material on the site to allow for construction.
An excavator has a long arm that extends to a digging bucket. The other end of the long arm is the cabinet where an operator sits. To ease operations, the cabin setup is rotatable up to 360o.
When you buy or lease an excavator, you have a wide range of options based on your construction needs. Some are tracked while others are wheeled. Other excavator types include truck-mounted, self-propelled, and mounted on a barge/rail.
You can also choose based on the working mechanism and select a hydraulic machine, mechanical excavator, bucket wheel, trenching excavators, clamshell and other systems. Whatever excavator you need, buy one from a reputable brand.
A bulldozer is another type of excavating machine that’s common at construction sites. The heavy equipment removes the top layer of soil using a sharp-edged wide metal plate at the front side A bulldozer can either have tracks or wheels but works faster than an excavator. An operator raises the plate with hydraulic pistons.
Backhoes also come in handy for the excavation of smaller surface areas such as trenches. The heavy equipment has a hoe at the back and a loading bucket at the front. The versatile design of the backhoe makes it a must-have at any construction site in Singapore.
In major construction sites, a lot of excavations happen to prepare the site. After excavations, levelling is required as construction continues. Some of the equipment used for levelling includes:
- Graders: Motor graders have a horizontal blade in between the front and rear wheels. To level the construction site, the operator lowers the blade and drives over the area. Graders also remove unwanted material at a construction site before the project begins.
- Compacters/rollers: These heavy machines help level the ground and compact it during construction. The heavy equipment works through the use of heavy tires or roller drums. Vibratory compactors help in areas with the unstable ground to create stable ground for foundations, roads, or pavements.
- Wheel tractor scrapers: A scraper uses a scraping tool to level the ground at a construction site.
Heavy Equipment for Access
One thing that makes construction works complicated is the difficulties in accessing high areas. With advances in construction machine manufacturing, you can choose from a wide variety of heavy equipment to help personnel or materials reach inaccessible heights or areas. Some heavy equipment used to ease access at sites include:
- Tower cranes: In the largest construction sites, you’ll always find tower cranes. The fixed cranes offer versatility and safety to raise equipment in tall structures. If you plan to hoist blocks, frames, steel trusses, and other heavy or bulky materials, a tower crane is essential for your project.
- Telehandlers: This is a type of hoisting equipment that lifts heavy materials up to a certain level. A telehandler features a long telescopic boom in which an operator raises, lowers or moves forward. The heavy construction equipment also helps workers with a safe working platform at higher heights.
- Scissor lifts: If you need a safe working platform for your workers, consider a scissor lift. The elevated mobile work platform is a safer alternative to scaffolding and also helps hold materials.
Heavy Equipment for Loading/Hauling
A construction site requires efficient hauling and loading solutions. Heavy equipment suited for these rugged conditions comes in handy. Some heavy equipment used for loading and hauling includes:
- Loaders: The heavy machines load a variety of materials onto dumpers and trucks
- Dumpers/trucks: To move materials out of your site, you need high-capacity trucks and dumpers.
If you have a construction project in Singapore, these are some of the main machines you require. The best heavy equipment improves productivity, safety, compliance, and efficiency at your site. When you buy or lease construction equipment, go for the best quality brand. Look for a brand with a solid reputation, experience in manufacturing heavy equipment and warranty for its machines. Don’t compromise on the quality of equipment you use at your site.